WYMeditor: web-based XHTML editor
WYMeditor is a web-based WYSIWYM (What You See Is What You Mean) XHTML editor (not WYSIWYG).
WYMeditor's main concept is to leave details of the document's visual layout, and to concentrate on its structure and meaning, while trying to give the user as much comfort as possible (at least as WYSIWYG editors).
WYMeditor has been created to generate perfectly structured XHTML strict code, to conform to the W3C XHTML specifications and to facilitate further processing by modern applications.
With WYMeditor, the code can't be contaminated by visual informations like font styles and weights, borders, colors, ...
The end-user defines content meaning, which will determine its aspect by the use of style sheets. The result is easy and quick maintenance of information.
As the code is compliant to W3C XHTML specifications, you can for example process it using a XSLT (at the client or the server side), giving you a wide range of applications.
Why WYMeditor ?
Do you modify your website using a content management system (CMS)? Do you allow your clients to modify their website with a CMS?
If yes, you have certainly met de difficult choice of a web-based (X)HTML editor.
- You may have tried a full-featured WYSIWYG editor, but you apprehend that your clients use it inappropriately, with the risk it degenerates visually and on the code quality.
- You may also have tried the BBcode syntax, Markdown or the wiki-style syntax, but you don't want to force your clients to solutions that are too technical/complex for them, even if it tends to generate good quality code.
WYMeditor brings a new approach and a set of simple solutions which allow for a very easy to use editor, while still producing clean XHTML code. Thanks to its original approach it remains clear and easy to learn. A one-hour training and it's the beginning of clean updates made by the end user.
How can I contribute ?
If you like WYMeditor and the freedom it brings to the web developer, don't hesitate to give some help.
WYMeditor is Free/Open Source Software, which means anyone can use it and contribute. It also means community support is important to make it a really solid and long-lasting project.
Applications using WYMeditor
WYMeditor has been integrated in many open or proprietary applications, such as:
- MediaWiki PHP wiki engine
- Drupal PHP CMS (using the WYSIWYG API module)
- CMS Made Simple PHP CMS
- Midgard Open Source Content Management Framework
- Symphony PHP XSLT CMS
- Radiant Rails CMS
- Refinery Rails CMS
- TYPO3 PHP CMS
- SPIP PHP CMS
- MODx PHP CMS
- XOOPS CMS
- ExpressionEngine CMS
- CMSity content management system engine
- django-cms (v2) Django CMS
- dango-page-cms Django CMS
- Website Baker CMS
- SkyBlueCanvas PHP CMS
- NanoCMS PHP CMS
- sNews PHP CMS
- Redaxo PHP CMS
- Frog CMS
- Wolf CMS
- Nirepress CMS
- Orbis CMS
- Poko CMS
- EPiServer C#-.NET CMS
- gidooCMS Java CMS framework
- WordPress PHP blog tool
- Dotclear PHP blog tool
- Byteflow Python/Django blog engine
- GroupServer Zope Collaboration Server
- OpenCRX Enterprise Java Open Source CRM
- Rails framework
- Django framework
- Symfony framework
- CakePHP framework
- CodeIgniter framework
- Gyro-PHP application framework with behaviour
- Jelix framework
- TypeRoom website editing tool
- Galaxy opensource scalable framework for tool and data integration
- Vocalo.org social media website
- Adminer database management in single PHP file
- PolicyStat policy and procedure management for healthcare
WYMeditor will soon reach 1.0 stable !
June 10, 2014
Many improvements and bug fixes !
November 26, 2012
WYMeditor 0.5 final released!
Bug fixes and IE9 compatibility!
June 26, 2012
Announcing the release of WYMeditor 1.0.0b3 with some small Drupal-related fixes.
February 27, 2012
January 18, 2012
WYMeditor development moves to GitHub to improve collaboration.
June 10, 2010
WYMEditor for ExpressionEngine 2.0 released!
June 03, 2010
WYMeditor 0.5 release candidate 2 released!
May 27, 2009
WYMeditor 0.5 release candidate 1 released!
November 19, 2008
WYMeditor 0.5 beta 2 released!
WYMeditor as an RDFa editor
September 15, 2008
WYMeditor 0.5 beta 1 released!
September 6, 2008
WYMeditor in Dotclear, by Rémi Hackert
May 9, 2008
WYMeditor 0.5 alpha 1 has been released.
This version brings, among others, the Safari compatibility.
May 1, 2008
Safari implementation is on its way
A 'resizable' plugin for WYMeditor, by Peter Eschler
WYMeditor in Jelix, the PHP5 MVC framework